four-cylinder lifting bracket

I agree that moving the engine lifting bracket one set of head nuts forward
gives a better angle when removing the engine and trans together on a 750,
101, 105, or 115 car; you don't end up having to muscle the rear end of the
trans or the driveshaft over the nose of the car so much.

But if you want to remove just the engine on one of these cars (and probably
the engine and rear mount assembly on a 116 car) my experience is that
leaving the bracket in the center position is better. The engine without the
trans can be lifted out pretty much straight up, once you clear the dropped
sway bay, radiator apron, and input shaft.  I haven't had to tilt it much at
all, especially if the car's hood is completely removed and out of the way.
I've even seen it done (admittedly by an experienced Alfa mechanic) on a
Berlina without removing the hood, and lifting the engine out with a
chain-fall from a beam, rather than a hydraulic engine hoist.  It was
effortless.  You might need to jackup the front of the bellhousing a bit,
but that's not much trouble.

And contrary to some others' experiences, I've taken plenty of engines out
without the trans, and without planning to disassemble them.  So I'd rather
not disturb the precious set of a sealing head gasket by loosening the head
nuts if I don't have to.

Just my experience.

Andrew Watry
Berlina Register