Don't laugh: trouble changing wipers on 164Q

OK, OK, I deserve what's coming to me for this one. I have tried two different sets of replacement wiper arms (not just the blades) and I can't figure out how to get them onto the car.

I've done this many times before on different cars, but it seems with this one the hook part of the arm is particularly long. This seems to prevent it from fitting through the opening in the replacement arm. I have tried a cheaper brand (I think it was Trico) and I have a new pair of Bosch replacements. Neither will seem to go on.

..At least the old ones come off easily...

Does anyone know of any tricks to this? Am I missing something obvious? Does this car require an EXACT Bosch replacement?

Thanks,
-Glenn

'94 164Q
'93 Spider Veloce
'01 Toyota Sienna (not mid-engine, not an SUV, and doesn't have an engine hanging out of its butt)