Spider warm up

Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 20:44:20 EST
From: BrianPal10@domain.elided
Subject: Spider warm-up?
How long should it take for a Spider to warm up to operating temperature.
Mine take about 10 minutes of driving (not an exaggeration), and cools down
on declines.
Brian

That's what it should do.  It will show about 180F in 10 minutes, assuming
normal ambient conditions, and reach internal equilibrium in about 15-20
minutes of normally spirited driving.  As I understand things, THAT'S when
it is OK to really let it out, but these things, like oils and cams, are
mystical quantities approaching spiritual Ones.

A deceased buddy's Ferrari 275 GTS, great car, never showed oil temp above
about 90C.  He had been told by some Authority that he should never punch
it before it reached 100C.  We drove for hours, never got "warm enough,"
and I finally punched it.  It needed some of the last 9/10 of its throttle
to get "to temp;" and there, it became Ferrari.  Wow.

If my Spider weren't "warm" in 15 minutes, sooner in Dallas, I'd look at
the gauges.  Meantime, I'd drive it the way it is meant to be
driven.  These ain't plow horses, they need to run.

YMM (absolutely) V!
Joe