Missing the SUV point and all that

The SUV "debate" on the digest misses the point and also misses the very
important connection to the enjoyment of Alfas.

The point is not that SUVs should be banned, nor that SUVs are unnecessary
abominations. The point is that the majority of SUVs are manufactured,
marketed and sold to consumers primarily for the transportation of
passengers. That makes them passenger vehicles. It is criminally unethical
to require some passenger vehicles to comply with strict safety, emission
and fuel economy regulations and at the same time allow other passenger
cars primarily used for the same purpose, by the same users, on the same
roads and under the same driving conditions to be exempt from such regulations.

This is not about freedom, or being able to buy and use a suitable vehicle.
It is about fair treatment for all. This is something that the US in
particular prides itself upon. The SUV is quite simply inconsistent with
America's declared political and social values.  Whether you agree or
disagree with the regulations, the inconsistent application of the
regulations is indefensible.

When you realize that the American automobile manufacturers deliberately
exploited this huge loophole in the law, and that they were aided and
abetted in this by the Federal Government purely for the profit of that
industry and at the expense of the American consumer, the extent of this
travesty should be obvious to all citizens of reasonable intelligence and
without regard to your personal views on whether the SUV is a good or a bad
thing, or neither.

In principle, the legislation could merely require warnings to prospective
purchasers of SUV: something like "warning: this vehicle could easily maim
or kill you, your loved ones, and your fellow citizens if you were
incompetent enough to crash it" but stating the obvious reveals why this
approach won't work. The consumer thinks: "I am a safe driver myself, and I
can drive an SUV without injuring anyone. It's those other idiots out there
who should be banned from buying one of these." Such warnings were actually
proposed. Some manufacturers apparently more concerned about liability
issues actually give purchasers a smarmy little video warning that you
should be careful driving these vehicles as they are not like a passenger
car. Understatement of the century.

Legislation is (or should be) a cooperative statement among us all to the
effect that we will agree to a restriction of our liberty for the benefit
of all of us. That is the social contract theory underpinning the US
Constitution. Instead, we see legislation opposed on principle purely
because it restricts our freedom. Well, of course it does. The tricky part
is deciding what aspect of our freedom is really necessary to restrict for
all of our benefit, and how.

My concern is that the SUV, like the passenger car before it was regulated,
is inherently dangerous not just to consumers who make an informed choice
about the purchase and know how to operate one safely i .e. people who
should be entitled to accept the risk, but to all of us  because it is
incompatible with the safe operation of our passenger vehicles. The
passenger car is the SUV's airbag in a collision. Don't lets talk about
bigger and heavier is safer as if that issue is relevant.

There are many solutions to the problem but the simplest one is to require
all vehicles "primarily" designed for passengers to comply with passenger
car standards, all of them. Consequently purely commercial "light trucks"
may carry no more than two persons, or by operators with a commercial
license. Crew cab trucks should be  as safe for passengers as a passenger
vehicle. Period. Even normal cab trucks could easily be made safer (as they
are when equipped with airbags) but a case can be made for preserving the
body on frame construction etc provided the operation of the vehicle is
modified by insisting on special training for the driver. One irony of SUVs
is that a vehicle more prone to rollover due to its inherent design
requirements is not required to have any rollover protection at all!

The problem is easy to identify. All opposing arguments  that I have seen
attempting to justify the SUV status quo are illogical and unsupportable on
a purely factual basis.

And these vehicles are absolutely a menace to every Alfa passenger car out
there and to every occupant of an Alfa passenger car. The older your Alfa,
the higher the risk. And your Federal Government created this danger with
the assistance of the American auto industry both of which absolutely know
of the dangers they have created.

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
91 Alfa 164L