164 Fuel Filler Neck and SUVs

"Does anyone know how much work is involved in replacing the fuel filler
neck boot.   This is the rubber boot that joins the fuel filler pipe to the
fuel pipe neck on the fuel tank."

Rob,

I haven't had mine out, but I did have to adjust it when I got my 164.  I
don't think it's a big job.

From memory, there is a metal filler neck where you stuck the pump, and
this is joined to the neck on the fuel tank by a short rubber boot.  To
remove it, jack up the back of the car, and you may need to remove the RHR
wheel.  Loosen the two hose clamps on the boot, and remove the locking ring
that holds the metal neck to the bodywork (a pair of opened long-nosed
pliers makes a perfect locking-ring removal tool).  There are a couple of
other vent pipes there that you may need to remove, but I think that this
should only be a ten-minute job.  Let us know how you go!

I will also add my voice to the requests to kill the SUV thread.  In the
words of Vyvyan (from "The Young Ones"), it is very very boring...

John Wiltshire
Sydney Australia
'89 164

are addressed.

If you have received this email in error, you are prohibited from reading,
copying, distributing and using the information.
Please contact the sender immediately by return email and destroy
the original message.