California Emissions

Eric,

The CA DMV has a good website. Much more pleasant and informative than any human interaction you could possibly have with a DMV employee. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/

Going from memory, you can get a temporary (2 year) exemption if it costs too much to smog your car, but that's it. After that, you fix it, sell it out-of-state, or make it an organ donor. Getting that 2 year exemption is intended to be painful and your car will have to look "stock" to the inspector.

Welcome to the Republic of California. Flatulence is also punishable, as well.

Karl
Sunnyvale, CA
(oh yes, you could also put it in storage until it's 30 years old and hope they don't change the law before then)

 Now that I've moved from central NY to southern California I am
 confronted with the dilemma of getting my heavily tweaked 88 Spider
 through the dreaded California smog test.

 3 - How much cash will CA extract from my bank account (maximum) in this
 effort worst case?