Redline -- overrated?

A few months ago I replaced the tranny fluid on my Moto Guzzi with Redline 75W90.  Guzzi 5-speed gearboxes are notorious for being clunky (they do shift smoother with age), but the Redline stuff seemed to exacerbate this tendency.  I then tried a synthetic BMW oil for motorcycles with good results.

I also changed the trans/differential fluid on my 164 with Redline.  I noticed no difference in shifting during warm or cold weather.  And as the miles increased I noticed that the trans would pop out of 5th gear with alarming frequency.  I then drained the Redline out and replaced it with regular Valvoline 75W90.  Result?  The transmission pops out of 5th less & less as the miles pile up.  I'll drain it again after a few hundred more miles to make sure all the residual Redline synthetic is gone.  Shifts better, too.  Seems like Redline is just too slippery for Alfa gearboxes.

Paul cuadra@domain.elided

95 LS 5-speed
97 Moto Guzzi Sport