Oil capacity

Alfa is the only modern mass producer to my knowledge still using enormous
sump capacity, double the standard. In warm climates it probably makes
sense. In cold climates it really doesn't. Synthetic oil helps in that it
runs "thin" even when cooler than optimum. The only reason for this is oil
cooling.
(I know Porsche also uses a large oil capacity, but surely that dates from
the air cooled (mostly oil cooled!) days and Porsche is not really  a mass
producer. )

SAAB turbos use thermostatically controlled oil coolers to handle the heat
load from the turbo, with a 5 quart sump (4.5 litres). Older 2 litre SAAB
turbos make do with 4 litre sumps. The oil cooler thermo only opens after
the engine has been running on full boost for a while, or if the ambient
temperature gets very hot. The 164 S uses a mickey mouse oil cooler
surrounding the oil filter inlet which seems a bit odd when you consider
that better systems are available.

Alfa should probably move towards the smaller sumps now pretty much
standard for other manufacturers. However, my GTV6 ran for about 30 miles
with very little coolant in the engine due to failure of the water
pump/alternator belt. I remain convinced that the engine remained unharmed
and continued to run smoothly without seizing primarily due to the enormous
oil capacity and secondarily to its aluminum construction. Of course,
continuing to drive at 70 mph helped by keeping the flow of cool (winter)
air through the engine compartment.

Cheers

Michael

Michael Smith