Re: Least expensive H-rated 185/70/14 for Spider...

I would argue that the speed rating is a starting point, only.  It, by
itself, does NOT tell you what the performance level of the tire is.
That is something that I leave to others to test, and for me to read
about.  Others' personal experience can have a say in it also.  But, to
say that a tire has a specific speed rating, and buy it primarily on
that basis, or entirely on that basis, is, IMHO, less than an informed
decision.

Five years ago, when I bought my GTI-VR6, one of the first things I did
was to change the tires.  The were Goodyear, a good brand.  The were
H-rated, safe up to the governor's speed of 129 mph.  They were NOT high
performance tires.  Far from it.  (Why VW chose them for it's flagship
performance model is *still* beyond me.)

My opinion, only.  As John H would say, (maybe) "Take it, or don't."

Jay Negrin
ARO So Cal
76 Alfetta GT