164 shift linkage

	I am in the middle of reassembling my 164 which I have had torn apart for
the last few months doing a ton of little maintenance items the DPO
overlooked. I am trying to put the shift linkage back together, but
unfortunately I can't quite remember how it should be assembled.
	There are only two main parts (a small Y-shaped yoke like a wishbone that
attaches to the transaxle and a long rod that bolts to the yoke and to the
bottom of the shifter lever. The repair manual shows the yoke bolted on TOP
of the rod (I think thats how it was when I took it apart too). The problem
is that when I assemble it this way there is a lot of tension on the rod (it
is like the transaxle is too low and the rod rubs against the transmittion
tunnel. If I put the yoke under the rod the shifting action is very smooth,
but the shifter itself seems to be slightly angled towards the driver's side
of the car.

Questions:
1.) Yoke -- Does the yoke go on top of the rod or under it?
2.) Rod -- Which side is up? The fitting on the end of the rod where it
connects to the shifter lever is angled. The way I have it now, the fitting
is parrallel to the l/r centerline of the car. If I flip it over the fitting
will be angled to one side. Should it be parrallel or angled.
3.) The hole in the firewall that the rod passes through seems to be too
high. The rod rubs a little on the plastic seal. The motor mounts are all
okay, do I just have the rod/yoke assembled wrong or is something else
causing this?

thanks in advance,
-Obie
Tacoma, Wa.