Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:06:55 +1000
From: rasputin <rasputin@domain.elided>
Subject: 164 one-touch window control unit

Hi all,

The one-touch electric window operation on my 164 driver's side window has
given up. It continually attempts to wind the window up, resulting in a
continual clicking from the window as it tries to wind up and can go no
further.

I pulled apart the door and reversed the wires to the motor, which
immediately wound it down. This proved to me that the window motor was fine.
I have also swapped the window switches in the console, so it is not those.

The Cardisk discusses something called the "control unit" which provides
this one-touch function, but I can't find it! There is something under the
glovebox which looks like it but it has a vast multitude of wires coming
from it (grouped into approximately 6 plugs), and I unplugged the most
likely of those and the window continued its attempts to raise. None of the
wires going into this box matched the colours specified in the Cardisk
wiring diagram.

Can anyone shed some light on where I can locate this control unit, and
whether it is fixable once removed?

Thanks,
Jeff
Australia, '89 164