Caution: Alfa Content ('94 Spider purchase?)

Test drove a '94 Spider - 75k or so.  A few questions.  There was
significant grinding downshifting from third to second.  These were just
regular downshifts, when slowing and needing a lower gear, nothing fast or
anything.  The car was cold, and after a few shifts I kind of got the hang
of it so I shifted more carefully.  A problem or just a manifestation of
typical synchros?  Air bag light on - from what I have read just a reset
isuue and will typically keep happening - not a big deal - correct?  The
speedometer read roughly 45 mph or so at what was probably 65 or so on the
highway.  Is the speedometer mechanical and is this just a cable issue or
something more significant?  Would a low reading speedometer translate into
a low reading odometer?  The "wood" trim on the inside (CE version) was
generlaly cracked and/or faded.  I guess this is common from the sun - is
this stuff replaceable?  The engine seemed kind of choked (i.e. strangled)
in the mid-range - not that willing to rev.  Mind you, I have a 164 which
clearly has more power and I have never driven a Spider before.  I know that
this is not much of a description but it almost seemed to be hesitating  and
did not want to pull to redline.

All comments/thoughts appreciated.