RE: 165/HR/whatever tire size comparisons

> I like all the explanations, but there have been a couple of minor
> inaccuracies about tires (tyres for our UK friends).  I don't know where
> Paul got his sizing on the XAS in 165-14, but I don't think it's right.
> Everything that I have seen (other than his entry) states that the 165-14
> diameter is most closely matched by 185/70-14, or
> 215/60-14...etc. There are

It's easy enough to do the math yourself.

As Paul correctly states, 165 tires, unless marked otherwise, are 80 series.
That means the sidewall height is 80% of the section width (165).

165 * .8 = 132mm
185 * .7 = 129.5mm

I'll leave it to you to convert mm to inches.

That doesn't mean 185/70 tires aren't a good substitute for a stock tire,
but they are not the exact height.  When I eventually finish my '71 GTV,
which is tweaked a little but relatively close to stock, I'll shod them with
185/70 size tires.

bs