Re: Super battery location

Hey Blair,
Apologies in advance if someone else brought this up, as I've been traveling
and have not scanned all the digests I have stockpiled.  Given the
predisposition of our beloved hulks to rust, why is there not more enthusiasm
for Optima sealed batteries and their clones?  I know they are relatively
expensive in comparison to lead-acid batteries, but the cheaper battery is a
false economy.  The Optima is completely sealed, and can be mounted in any
position.  It's not ever going to leak and start a rust farm in your fender.

They also seem to last longer than other batteries, again improving their true
economy.  I put an Optima in our Jetta over 5 years ago, and it shows no signs
of weakening.  I was motivated to make this purchase because the power
steering reservoir on the Jetta was constantly being bathed by overflow from
the "No-Maintenance" battery installed by the PO, and after replacing 3 rotted
reservoirs (at about $15 each) I decided it was time to address the root
cause. I put a Champion Optima clone in my Montero at about the same time,
same story.  I also bought a Champion clone for the GTV, which spends a lot of
time sulking in the garage.  I installed this with one of those
quick-disconnect terminals with the green knob, so the battery is always
disconnected unless the car is in use, and I never have to charge it or jump
start.

At about $100 for each battery, I'm still not out what it's going to cost me
to fix the passenger rear quarter and spare tire well on the GTV where the old
lead-acid batteries dripped for years.

Tony
Portland OR
74 GTV