do the math

In a message dated 02/20/2002 11:23:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> The average car costs $0.375 per mile to drive, yielding $375/1000 miles. I
> think your average car is a ford Taurus - am I wrong?
> My conclusion is that the 164Q costs me 30% more than what mose people pay
> for
> a new "average" car.  It's worth every penny I think, assuming you do your
> own
> labor.

I personally think anyone, from the chairmen of GM and FIAT down to the
consumer, would be nuts to try to evaluate owning an Alfa based on a
cost-per-X comparison with a Taurus or similar.  There is NO BASIS for the
comparison: they are two very different products aiming to achieve two very
different objectives, albeit both within the generally category of
automobile.  This would be, to me, something like comparing the cost per
pound of truffles to the cost per pound of Wonder Bread within the general
category of food.

A Taurus buyer would be most unhappy with an Alfa on his own terms, and I
think, vice versa.  This is what makes the world go round (despite the
teachings of the Taliban).

Charlie
LA, CA, USA