BWA 4-spoke wheels on a Spider?

In a message dated 02/21/2002 1:23:08 AM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 04:40:03 +0000
> From: JeffreyOlson@domain.elided
> Subject: BWA 4-spoke wheels on a Spider?
>
> Guy on eBay had a set.  Thinking about them for my '78
> Spider.
>
> Prefer the 'Daytona'-style to replace the 'Turbina'-
> style but they are very expensive and hard to find for
> some reason.
>
> I've seen these BWA wheels on a Alfetta GT and Sprint
> Veloce but never on a Spider.  Is the bolt
> pattern/offset the same?  Opinions?
>
> Thanks!

       The four spoke BWA wheels were aftermarket and available in various
bolt patterns, including the 98 mm Alfetta/Fiat pattern and the 108 mm Alfa
Spider/GTV/Berlina pattern.  They precede the Turbina and are vintage correct
for Duettos, and other early cars.  I have a set I picked up for my 74 GTV.
I also have an Alfetta set.
       There is a late Alfa spider with BWA's on the cover of a recent IAP
catalog.  I did not think they looked good on the late model car.
       There are various styles of 5 spoke Daytona style wheels.  Some of the
early ones have more offset and the spokes come all the way to the rim.
There have been some of these on eBay new from Germany.  These also are
correct for early cars.
       The five spoke Daytona wheels that were fitted to Alfa spiders in 1982
and after have a ring around the spokes.  I have been acquiring them by
acquiring the spiders they came on.  These seem to sell for entirely too much
on eBay.  I almost have enough and the eBay prices are tempting.
       The late wheels do not have enough offset.  Actually they have too
much offset in the wrong direction.  The tires need to sit farther apart.  I
am running them on my race car with 3/4 inch or 19 mm spacers on all four
corners.  They need a full inch spacer, but my aftermarket heavy duty lug
bolts are not long enough.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City