Help with rear pinion seal, please...

  I figured while I had my spider up on jacks replacing some worn out
bushings and bearings, catalytic converter, etc., etc. I would replace
the leaking rear pinion seal. How can you get the large nut off the flange at
the differential? I know you need a special tool, but
I don't have one. Any ideas, has anyone been able to do it
without that tool? I thought I remember (seeing on the digest)
someone had made there own. Someone out there?
Also even if I find this tool, is it a difficult job?
Anything thing else I should know about it?

Mike Ferrone
a79alfa@domain.elided
79 spider