Future of internal combustion

Say, with all of this talk of running out of petroleum, have we considered
the fact that gasoline could likely be synthesized without needing oil as a
raw material? Perhaps in 2040 you could run your Giuletta on "Synthegas," or
"Pseudo-benzina." I suspect that this statement will lead to a response by a
chemical engineer listing all the reasons why it is not cost-effective,
etc., but please remember that as long as there are people with money who
want hard to get (or make) stuff, there will be people to supply these
items!  This topic also makes me think of the Rush song "Red Barchetta,"
which may or may not be a good thing.

Al Mitchell
86 GTV6 x2
96 Viper RT-10