over all over

In a message dated 02/19/2002 10:41:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> These poor mechanics are over. OR they try to survice with
> Vintage cars, or they're over.

Luca, the description you give of the old days of cars as art in motion being
over has been the case here in the USA since at least WW II and probably
since the end of the Depression.  I know this "revolution" took longer to
play out in certain European countries (I will mention only England) because
of their social organization (cars being indented for a wealthy nobility or
at least economic elite, and not as mass-produced for every purse) compared
to the more egalitarian USA.  With rare exceptions is this the way of the
world.

I don't pretend to know about the maker-specific aspects of the computer
equipment aboard newer cars.  I had thought there were only a few companies
making this equipment, then selling it to the automakers (Bosch and the like)
for use on different makes. Maybe that's wrong.  But the result is that the
cars work better and the economic benefit is that it is not easy or perhaps
possible for a lot of independent garages to work on newer cars because of
the specialized knowledge and costly equipment needed, which results in a
healthier stream of secondary income from dealer service bays and parts
departments.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA