Re: Kinda scary look into the future!!

At Sun, 17 Feb 2002 18:02:33 +0200 "John Fielding" wrote:

>Hi All,
>here is something for you all to ponder.

you hit the point, I was thinking the same when I asked myself
whether it's better if I store in my garage coupla EFI and CDU
for my '87 75 Turbo.  I am thinking to save electronic parts
now for a car that's making it's 15th birthday right today (I
reserved a place at the best manual car wash, but ofcourse today
the damn thing refused to start.... it will stay dirt!). What's
up with newer cars??
There will be no artesanal restorations available.  There will
be no way to build up something that was mechanic and now is
completely servo assisted by electronic.
Maybe, personally, I got a change... I am about computer and
electronics, robotic included... so probably, once give a
flow diagram and a signal graph, I can reproduce with never
hardware the very same signals some other units were putting
out originally.

Will I be, then, one of the most loved car restorer ?

I'd wish to, but I seriously doubt.

Nowadays cars are projected and built up to be safe, reliable,
easy and ... USED. I mean, nowadays car production and style,
mass production, extreme parts compatibility/interchange among
models (to save on production costs).... these cars are TOOLS,
they are made to be used and then replaced. It's not like
in the past, when the cars were art in motions, were something
to be above the masses. The times of the frames that very important
designers used to dress up are over.
We're in the age of mass production, mass consumption, mass recycling.

I don't really know what will be around in 50 years off today's
production. I mostly believe my 75 will still hang around, also
all our Giulia, Giuliettas, Alfettas, and 164.  Surely not the
147, nor the 156GTA.

And this trend is also killing the "next door mechanics".
Scary are the numbers about how many little workshops are
closing their garages' shutters for the last time today.
They were used to live with those permanently greasy hands,
they were used to make running cars that were well over
the worst conditions you can imagine, they were used to
machine out that part when the original one was too expensive
for the customer to buy. They were used to let lotsa Fiats
and Alfas run.... pretty easy... they were basically all
the same cars.  They could tune a carb w/o instruments, just
with the use of human ear. They could smell the exhaust smoke
to see whether the car is burning well inside there.
They didn't need torque wrench, they just knew how much
that bold must be tightned.  They were great in my Alfa,
as your Fiat. OK for that Lancia, and knowing perfectly
John's Ford. Also Bob's Volkswagen was easy to fix, excately
as Rich's Audi.

Today?? Each car companies produces there's a new whole
computer set to buy. Also a software. These computers,
once connected to the car's connector, tells you all
about the car's troubles.  I've seen it with my eyes
at my alfa workshop, while the mech was about a brand
new 147 with the whole computer set to fix it.
That official Alfa workshop can afford it. Also the OFFICIAL
Ford workshop. As well that Audi workshop.... but what's
about the 50 years old mechanic working inside his little
workshop downstairs???  Will he ever be able to afford a new
computer set for each damned car on the market???
Will customers ever take the car to him now? You know you can
buy a brand new car and buy 3 years services package... supposing
you are leaving the car to this or that OFFICIAL brand workshop.

These poor mechanics are over. OR they try to survice with
Vintage cars, or they're over.

Sad but true...
Luca