$2002 Challenge, last update before competition...

Wow, that was not an easy job.  Before I start rambling, here are some of the last photos.  We will take some at the competition, but this is it before we get to Florida...

At the end of the photo album, all the new ones- I added about 15 more pictures.

I wish I could honestly say that we will go down to Florida and obliterate the competition.  But I can't.  The car is darn quick, but right now, we are limiting to 7psi of boost.  I've got some hardware to adjust it wherever I want, but with only a few days of development on it, we may not chance it down on the drag strip.  It looks like we have a little ignition and charging problem- the battery isn't charging too well, but it is ok for the race- we drove it yesterday way farther than we will over the weekend.  As for the ignition, we will probably add a new, old coil to it, at its cutting out at the higher boost pressures.  The ignition is pretty much a copy of a Ford Turbo Coupe- which one of our team members owns.  We hear that those are good to at least 18psi and fire just fine.

We will see...

We did a lot of tuning at night, and you can see that all the lights work, but do bear in mind that up here in Michigan, its darn cold in February, with no top, and Alfa heat.  So some of the real driving and developing will take place this summer for the 2003 event (if there is one...).

So- I'll give you the messy details:
Engine- stock liners, forged stock pistons machined to 8:1, cross drilled #2 and #4 main, wire placed in top of cylinder liner for extra pressure on combustion ring, slightly ported head (most for injector pocket)
Intake- Stock Bosch intake manifold, big injectors, custom modified fuel rail, water intercooler from a Toyota, Garrett T3 turbo from 80's Dodge (water cooled...), we will be using ice water for intercooler..
Control- Perfect Power MIC3 (out of South Africa)
Exhaust- Totally custom- Old manifold that Mike Besic made, from Jim Steck, rest of exhaust custom by local shop, side outlet, one muffler (sounds really nice...).
Suspension- Ward and Dean Springs, Shankle front and rear sway bars, Koni shocks, Urethane bushings.  Familiar set up to me...

Stock trans (a little messy), stock rear end (re-packed shims), stock brakes (why mess with success).  And for those who are Mustang fans- those wheels are from and 80's Mustang.

When we get back next week, I'll fill you in on what happened.  But other than that, I won't be reading e-mail...

Here I am, at work, 9am, barely awake.  How do you real racers do it?

Eric Storhok
Core Emissions and Fuel Economy Team
Advanced Powertrain Engineering
(313)33x75011