164 hard steering when cold

My '91 164S is developing a power steering problem.
When I get in the car in the morning the power seems
to be out on the steering.  It's fine after just about
a minute but just at first no power steering.  This is
in the mild climate of San Francisco.  The first time
I noticed it was last winter in Lake Tahoe where it
was much colder than here.  It now seems to be
happening in warmer and warmer weather.  Of course the
fluid is full and there isn't any noise like a
slipping belt when it acts up.  It also doesn't leak a
drop of fluid and the belt is tight.  Does this sound
familiar to anyone?  Could it be the pump or rack what
do you think?

Thanks,
Jerry, San Francisco
'91 164S