Re: Speaking of Compression Ratios...

Measure the chamber volume with the head off first, by greasing the valves
and filling the upside-down chamber until it's full (you might use a flat
plate with a hole in it if you're really anal about accuracy.  Then
measure the swept volume directly (bore x stroke) using obvious methods
like a rod down the plug hole for stroke and calipers for bore (or just
trust the published figures).

The crown volume is the same at BDC as it is at TDC, so just measure it
once, using a greased liner and a piston flush with the top of the liner.
Measure the bore of the liner with calipers, and with the engine partially
assembled, measure the stroke with a straight rod.  Subtract the crown
volume from the measured swept volume and the measured chamber volume to
get the ratio.

Much easier than trying to measure the total volume.

james montebello