judder in reverse

Re Steve's query.

To some extent they just do that, but there are a few things to check, in
what has been my experience the order of severity:

1. Motor mounts (on the engine) have good strong rubber and are tightly
bolted top and bottom
2. Trans mount (at rear of trans) in good condition and installed right way
up
3. Trans mount bolts all tight?
4. Clutch is in good shape as in not roughly engaging or juddering on its
own?
5. Throttle linkage works smooth and OK, and car has low smooth idle speed?
High idle can contribute to problem.
6. I assume as a 67 it still has the mechanical clutch. Does it have cable
or rod actuation on the last link from the bellcrank to the TO actuation
arm? (a viciously debated Digest thread) Rod may cause less compliance and
therefore more oscillation cycles.
7. There is a relatively simple rubber-bumper hood stop "solution" that can
be threaded into the trans mount, effectively arresting the fore-aft motion
of the gearbox. Some say it works. It was written up in one or more club
newsletters, which I don't have handy.

My current Super had incredible reverse judder when I bought it, because, as
it turned out, one motor mount that was not well seated on the cross member
and was not bolted in.  Even after fixing that, it still has slight judder
in reverse, especially uphill, as have other Supers I've owned. For reasons
probably relating to the cumulative effect of the above factors, some cars
are worse than others.

Andrew Watry
Berlina Register