Alfa Spider Brakes

In a message dated 02/12/2002 12:50:52 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:04:53 -0600
> From: "Crawford, Pat" <crawfordpat@domain.elided>
> Subject: brakes
>
> To all,
> I do have a quick question . I think that I may need to change the brakes
> out on my spider, are they all disc brakes? And also are they similar in
> structure and replacement procedures as a Dodge Caravan front brake
> assembly? I understand that the components will look different, but do they
> function  the same? Also, do you know where the parking brake adjustment nut
> is?
> Thanks,
> Pat

       Spider brakes are pretty simple if all you want to do is change the
pads.  The pads are held in with two pins.  Get a punch and a small hammer.
Tap one of the pins toward the center of the Alfa with the punch, grab hold
of the cross bar retaining clip and remove the other pin.
       Use a screw driver to push the pad away from the rotor, thus
retracting the caliper piston.  Put a new pad in that space and do the other
pad on the same wheel.  At that point check the level of fluid in the master
cylinder.  Since the caliper pistons are retracted, fluid will have been
pushed back into the master cylinder.
       Replace one pin, the cross bar and the other pin.  Tap the pins home
with a hammer on the back side.  The pins snap in and out pretty easy, so a
large hammer with large blows is not required.  Just tap on the pins.
       Replacing the rear brake pads on the transaxle Alfas are a bitch.  The
spider brakes are all easy.
       All the above assumes the rotors are still in good shape and that the
calipers are not leaking or stuck.

       The spider emergency brake consists of two small brake bands inside
the rear rotors.  These are just a small pair of drum brakes.  I remember
there being an adjuster inside, but I have never found it necessary to adjust
that.  There is also a screw adjuster where the emergency brake cable
attaches to the car body close to the transmission tunnel.
       The most common problem with the emergency brake in my experience is
coins. If you throw coins or other small items on the console, they will work
back under the emergency brake handle and mess up the workings.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City