Window cleansing

Hi gang -
My carpool partner has a problem I would like to help with.  Her (newer)
Honduh has some kind of film on the windshield that keeps even new wiper
blades from clearing without streaking.  When it is not wet out (rarely in
Seattle) the window looks fine, but as soon as it gets damp, the wipers go on
and ... streak, streak, streak.
It almost seems like she needs a deep cleaner, or a wax-like treatment.
Any ideas appreciated.  As always... TIA

Gordy Hyde
close to the edge of Seattle