Plex w/ vacuum advance

Andrew Murphy recently posted the following:

>1.	I just got my hands on a Marelli plex to convert my points
>to electronic ignition.
>The odd thing  is, it is the type with the vacuum advance.

Years ago, i too obtained not just one but eventually 2 (same mistake
twice) of these mystery Plex units with vacuum advance.  I also asked
the digest at the time what the deal was with these, where to hook up
the vacuum advance, if the advance curve was different, were they an
original part for either European or US spec Alfas, etc. etc.

No one really knew what to make of it at the time, the (limited)
consensus seemed to be that this was NOT a part for an Alfa, that it
could be made to work, and no one had any idea as to what kind of an
advance curve it would have.  Basically it was suggested to install it,
time for max advance at 5000 rpm and then see how the car would idle.

I ultimately never did try the Plex(es) out, and have since simply
installed a Crane electronic ignition with my stock Marelli distributor
and the car runs just fine.  However, i am still curious if anyone has
any real information about those Plex units, what car they were built
for, what the advance curve is like, etc. etc.

Thanks,
Peter Kemos
73 GTV (no points, no plex)