Re: Spider Clutch Replacement....leave it for professionals??

Hi Mike,

In a message dated 2/11/02 1:34:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> From: spiritone <msmiller_spiritone@domain.elided>
>  Subject: Spider Clutch Replacement....leave it for professionals??
>
>  Ok, so there's been hundreds of threads on clutch
>  replacement.....sorry.
>
>  Lost the hydraulics on my clutch today and was unable
>  to change gears...making for an eventfull ride home,
>  forcing the gear change.(not good) I made the mistake
>  of putting off the replacement of what I assume might
>  be a dying slave cylinder.  Dumb.

Funny, I just replaced my slave cylinder. pesky little buggers. Now here's a
question for you: are you absolutely sure your clutch is burned out because
of this (Alfa clutches seem pretty resilient)? or are you merely asking about
the job for future reference (you've been planning to do it anyway, perhaps?)

>  I'm an avid diy'er yet this one looks to be out of my
>  league...as I assume other clutch components(pressure
>  plate, Disc, release bearing) might also need
>  replacing...and I'm not the best diagnositition.
>
>  For those that have completed the work....just how
>  long did it take?  I'm on the fence...and just might
>  have this one done professionally.
>
>  Thanks
>  Mike

IMO, there ain't nothin' special about a Spider clutch job. If you've ever
replaced a clutch on any rear wheel drive vehicle then you know all there is
to know already. Actually it's easier on account of the light weight of the
alum tranny housing, and its small size ;-). Just make sure you have some
metric flywheel fittings for your clutch alignment tool. Also make sure to
take a look at your tranny mount, as this is a great time to replace it if
need be. (N.B. you have to heat the housing with a torch before driving the
mount out with a seal driver). Ditto the backup lamp switch... is it working?
not shorted? you're sure now? You can't replace that without dropping the
tranny, and it's a cheap part.

Time frame without a lift... plan on the better part of a day. Actually
better make it a weekend in case you have to run out for bolts, gear oil etc.
Oh yeah, and you probably already know this, but make sure you have the
clutch and pressure plate out before you buy your new clutch. Different
brands of clutches, with different bolt and spring patterns, were used within
the same year.

Good luck!
Courtney