RE: 156 Direct Injection - 165 bhp, 152lb-ft from 2.0 liters

>> Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 17:59:24 -0500 (EST)
>> From: Ryan Fellini <rfellini@domain.elided>
>> Subject: Re: 156 Direct Injection - 165 bhp, 152lb-ft from 2.0 liters
>>
>> > Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 00:55:14 -0800
>> > From: Nizam Zambri <nizam@domain.elided>
>> > Subject: 156 Direct Injection - 165 bhp, 152lb-ft from 2.0 liters
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> > While 165bhp from a 2.0 is not spectacular these days (Integra Type-R's
>> > have 180bhp, albeit at 7800rpm), the 152lb-ft of torque is.  Remember
the

>> ah, ha.  but, the new Alfa 2.0L JTS is a mass-produced engine, where
>> the 195 HP 1.8L Type-R and latest 200 HP 2.0L Type-R (S) are not.
>> Those  Type-R engines are hand built limited editions motors..

Weeeelllll, not exactly.  While there was some mild hand porting done on the
Type R engine which *is* (was) produced in very limited numbers, the Type S
is another story.  It is a normal production model just like the old GS-R
(which also put out very nearly 100hp/l) was.  There is to be an RSX Type R
as well, although whether or not it will come to America it is unclear.
Honda is certainly able to get a lot of power out of their engines.  They
don't do as well with torque tho.  The Type S engine makes 141lb-ft, but not
until 6000 rpm.  While their peak torque figures aren't bad, they have long
been criticized for being gutless at low revs.  I suspect the Alfa engine is
much better in that regard--that is a very impressive figure for a 2 liter
engine.  I wish power and torque curves were commonly published and not just
the peak values.  I am kind of a lightweight engine geek (which is what drew
me to Alfas) and in my opinion, the real interesting development is over at
BMW.  (Much as I hate to admit it)  They have developed a stepless variable
valve system that adjusts timing and lift continuously--so much so that
their engines fitted with this system don't even have a throttle plate any
more.  Airflow is completely controlled by the valve lift (or lack of).
They do very well with torque and power AND fuel efficiency and emissions.
Plus, they still have an inline 6.  MMMMMMMmmmmmm, yummy.  It's a good thing
I don't have any money, or I'd have a real moral dilemma on my hands.  In
any case, I think the next few years are going to pretty interesting ones
for engine technology.