Re: Scheme to Fund Crushing.....

<< Although this is not specifically aimed at Alfas, I'm sure it will have
some effect.  I think it is time to lobby for provisions to protect
significant older models from the crusher. >>

  Hey, maybe that's what that dues increase was for.....?

<< btw, this is also about fuel efficiency.  No mention of smog laws, smog
levels, pollution, etc.  Strictly fuel-efficiency.  The turned-in car must
fall below a defined line of fuel efficiency to qualify (which, if it's the
CAFE standard, is something like 24mpg, so even my '84 GTV6 wouldn't qualify,
let alone a Milano).  If it provides a possible new outlet for people to dump
their 1980 Dodge Colt for above market and buy a new econobox, I hardly see
this as a bad thing.

  So you're implying that your GTV-6 gets better mileage than an '80 Dodge
Colt?  Must be something seriously wrong with my Milano, 'cause 24 mpg would
be a dream.
  It seems to me this bill would be of little or no use to the average
consumer, and is just something the car companies cooked up to try and sell
more cars.  What's the average new car price these days?  Fifteen grand?
Twenty?  People who can afford that aren't currently driving an '80 Colt, and
for those who are that 500 bucks isn't going to convince them that they need
to take on a new car payment for the next 60 months, plus increased insurance
costs, etc, even if they're shopping in the Hyundai price range.
  This is nothing more than a sneaky way to get the government (taxpayers) to
pay the rebate on a new car rather than the manufacturer taking it out of
their pocket (profit).  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to
recall that the C.A.F.E. was put on hold years ago, and every time somebody
says "hey, we should get those numbers moving again" the car makers yell and
scream and make lots of political donations and nothing happens.  Then along
came the SUV craze, and everything went to hell.  My first car was a '69
Mustang and it got about the same mileage as a current Explorer.  Sure, it
was 2WD and the Explorer is 4WD, but I had a V-8 and it's been more than a
quarter century.  We don't seem to have progressed much.
  Next time you pass a dealer, any dealer, take 5 minutes to drive through
and look at some of those window stickers.  There is no excuse in this day
and age for any vehicle to have mileage numbers in the teens.  Don't get me
started on cars with single digit fuel economy.....those people should be
shot.  If the Feds want to do something about fuel consumption in this
country they need to revisit the C.A.F.E. standards.  Now...if we can get the
auto makers out of the room when they do it, all the better.
Bryan Carter
Olympia, WA