RE: HELP Coil has juice, but no spark

Chris,

Thanks for the input. I checked rotor, cap, and the wire going into the
distributor. I cleaned the terminals on the plug going into distributor
as well. All seemed good. I also pulled the white plastic cover from
under the rotor and looked around and saw nothing suspicious like broken
wires, melted plastic, etc.

I do not have a dwell meter but have used one in the past- I may be able
to get my hands on one this weekend.

I did the following to test the coil for badness by using an electrical
light tester (not sure the proper name for it but it is a metal spear
with a lightbulb attached on one end and a long wire with alligator clip
on the other)- you know the type- put one end on a ground and the other
end on a hot wire and if you have a good connection then the lightbulb
goes off:

So this is what I did to troublshoot:
1) Attached wire (via alligator clip) to a known ground
2) Connected the other end of this electrical continuity tester gadget
to the positive terminal of the coil.
Results: with key off the lightbulb was not on, with key on the
lightbulb was bright
2a) shouted "whoo-hoo, we have juice going to the coil"

3) So then I put the tester into the coil connector (where the coil wire
enters)
4) Turned key on, no lightbulb lit up   - cranked engine, no lightbulb
still
4a) cursed "shazbot, the coil is shot"

5) Bought a new coil for $16, installed
6) Tested again, still same results as previous
6a) scratched head, looking for clues

Also cleaned the ignitor (ignition module) connections with sandpaper
but still no difference.

Will one of these lightbulb-type testers actually light up on a properly
running engine if you were to plunge it into the coil wire area? I would
think so since the amount of spark coming out of it is pretty strong. So
I am guessing that whatever controls the release of spark from the coil
is broken. Either the ignitor, or perhaps something previous to the
ignitor like the lead from distributor. So if nothing is telling the
coil to release spark, then no spark.

How much does this ignitor typically cost? Any ideas?

Michael S. Sweigart
PureDealer, Inc., President
http://www.puredealer.com
Direct Phone: 609-977-5050