spider gas door cable

Hey Y'all,
How is the cable that opens the fuel door attach to the catch.  It has been so
long since I took it apart I don't recognize the parts.

I put a piece of wire from the latch out the seam in the carpet up on the
little carpeted shelf at the rear of the trunk opening. Open trunk, pull wire,
fuel door opens, simple and easy enough but since the cable is all but
connected I might as well make it work.

thanks,

Wayne Abbott
Durham, NC