Proper warm-up

I recently moved, the result being that I'm even closer to work than before
-- about 2 miles one way.  There is no way my 164 is warmed up after 2
miles, especially considering the *freezing* morning conditions here in San
Francisco (about 43 degrees F).

Should I just take the bus to work rather than wreak havoc on the engine
during such a short jaunt?

BTW, almost every weekend I take the Alfa up to the moutains and, once the
engine is at proper operating temperature, run it at redline through the
twisties.  The 164 loves these exercises.

(I also just got back from a 1100 mile road trip to the Salton Sea, where
the Alfa cobwebs were temporarily cleared out -- all the creaks & groans
from the chassis disappeared, the 24V motor burned almost no oil, and
delivered 25 mpg in top gear.)

Paul cuadra@domain.elided

95 LS 5-speed
97 Moto Guzzi 1100i