bad vibes at speed

In a message dated 01/31/2002 10:04:42 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Please help, I have a really bad vibration in my 82 spider.  The
> vibration starts at 75 and makes it unbearable to go past 80.  Numerous
> part were replaced including u-joints, Guibo, Center support bearing and
> Outer Axle Bearings.  The trailing arm bushings and the T-Arm bushing at
> the differential were also replaced.

Haven't you been paying attention to Fred?  Don't go changing a lot of parts
hoping to stumble across a solution!

Have you checked your wheels and tires for wear, for balance, for PROPER
alignment, and to make sure the wheels are actually still round?  Any GOOD
alignment shop should be able to either discover if there's a problem or rule
this out for you pretty cheaply and PDQ.

But it sounds a lot like wheel balance to me.  Maybe a 50 cent weight fell
off the inside of one of your rims or something, or maybe someone drive too
fast over train tracks.

NOTE: if you have 14" wheels as I do, you may have trouble finding a wheel
and tire shop with a lift that can accommodate a spider, clearing the exhaust
(they are set up for SUVs and Sherman tanks for obvious reasons).  You'll
need to find a place with an old-fashioned pit, which probably means a Mom &
pop shop, which could be good news since you may find there more experienced
people instead of just anyone with a pulse who can run a lift and a computer
and change tires on rims for minimum wage.

Anyhow, I would first suspect the wheels and then work upwards from there.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA