historic value

In a message dated 01/31/2002 1:39:35 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> > Does having a prominent previous owner really make an Alfa more valuable??
>
> SEEM> The reason I ask is that there is a 2600 Sprint on Ebay that is
> listed as a ex-Pat Braden car.

First, you have to consider the amazing number of Alfas Pat Braden has had,
either in toto over the years, or even at any given time.  His prior
ownership itself isn't even that rare, and with that many McCoys, there are
bound to be plenty with false pedigree papers, too.  So, on a rarity level, I
would guess a possible-Braden example wouldn't be any more valuable than any
other old Alfa, except to a very rarefied and select few.  For example, I
personally would offer an extra 10% or $20, whichever is greater.  If Pat
delivered, there would be dinner involved, too.

OTOH, there are examples around that have been previously owned by people
who, if their credentials are not quite as sterling at Braden's, are more
widely recognized, such as Mussolini.  I am reasonably sure some fruitcake
somewhere would pay extra bucks for an M-Alfa.

A few months ago I was lucky enough to be on Lake Como and, by boat, passed a
small town which was pointed out as the place where Il Duce was apprehended
and shot by Italian freedom fighters when he was trying to take it on the lam
with his mistress -- and his Alfa.  We all know what eventually happened to
I-D (treated like a Parma ham), but what happened to the car?  I am sure
someone here knows.  I have seen a car, somewhere (can't recall just where
but probably in a museum, maybe the Biscaretti?) that was said to be Mussolin
i's Alfa, but whether it was that "escape" car, or one of a vast collection,
I don't know.  He was more well-known in terms of rail travel, anyhow.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA