Good toolset for beginners

       I like Sears Craftsman tools as they are guaranteed.  Snap On has
great tools, but chasing down a dealer is problematical.
       Sears sells a 144 set of all six point sockets and ratchets in 1/4,
3/8, and 1/2 inch sizes.  The set includes American sizes as well, plus a few
end wrenches.  It is sometimes on sale for around $100.  I like six point
sockets as I believe the grip the nuts and bolts more firmly.
       Sears also has a set of end wrenches from about 5 mm through 22 or 25
mm.  It costs about $50 on sale.
       For an Alfa, you do not need an 18mm and will rarely need a 16mm size.
 The only 16 mm I have found on an Alfa is the head of two of the three bolts
that attaches the starter.  I do not think I have ever used a 20 mm on an
Alfa.
       You will need a second 10, 11, 13, 15, 17 and 19 mm end wrenches for
such things as removing the oil pan bolts, drive shaft u joints, giubos, etc.
       The oil pan drain bolt is 27 mm or 1 1/16, so buy a socket in that
size.  For the crankshaft pulley, the late spiders are 36 mm, the early
spiders are 38 mm and the V-6 is 41 mm.  The spider transmission rear yoke is
32 mm.  A cheap plastic vernier caliper in metric will help figure out what
size wrench / bolt you need.  A good dial caliper is helpful for accurate
measurement, plus a feeler gauge and a one inch micrometer for measuring
valve shims.
       Get an Allen wrench set.  Plus buy a 12 mm Allen for the spider
transmission and rear end.  The Motronic oil pan drain plug is also 12 mm
Allen.
       Pliers, vice grips, screw drivers, snap ring pliers (both expanding
and contracting), a creeper, a big floor jack, 4 jack stands or 2 ramps and 2
stands are all pretty much requirements.  And a digital multi meter for
measuring battery voltage and chasing other electrical gremlins.  And a
torque wrench - I have 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch torque wrenches.  Electric drill
and drill bits, tap and die set and / or thread chasers.
       You need a work bench with a vice and maybe a drill press.  Storage
cabinets and tool boxes make finding all the above easier.
       As a luxury, I have a set of stubby Gear Wrenches I bought at Sears.
Sears now offers a ratchet end wrench with a lever, but I figure that is more
bulky.  I like the stubby Gear Wrenches as I mostly use them for running
bolts in or out after cracking them loose with a normal end wrench.
       I also have duplicates or triplicates of all the above.  I try to keep
a full set of tools in my motorhome plus the common spare parts to rebuild my
race car at the track.  I carry a full gasket set to the track, but if the
engine or transmission goes south, I will come home to fix those.
       I also have a five horse twin stage 80 gallon air compressor, impact
wrenches and sockets and other air tools, a glass bead cabinet, Oxy Acetylene
torch (blue wrench), wire feed MIG welder, an old stick welder, a parts
washer, a cherry picker engine hoist, an engine stand, brake and engine
cylinder hones, ring compressors, micrometers, a chop saw, a SawZAll,  ad
infinitum.  I have a good friend with a hydraulic press, lathes in several
sizes, a Bridgeport mill, a surface grinder, a tubing bender, a TIG welder
for aluminum and special applications in steel.
       I really need access to a paint booth and maybe a powder coater.
Other than that, I am fairly well set up.  Stuff.  I need more stuff.  And I
am sure I have forgotten many things like an oil filter wrench.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City