Re: Beginner Toolset

First off:  I'm a big fan of Craftsman tools.  They are cheap enough,
and carry a good warranty.   I've broken a few 1/2" ratchets with giant
cheater bars, and just return them for new ones.

Must haves:  Full set of metric wrenches, preferably combination
wrenches (one end is open, one end is box.)   I also have a set of
socket end wrenches... one end is open the other has a socket on a
swivel.  I reach for these first when I can't use a ratchet. 1/4", 3/8",
1/2" ratchets, a few extensions, and a 1/2" breaker bar.  A full set of
regular metric sockets, and a set of deep sockets.   A good set of screw
drivers (with good handles and preferably hardened tips), a few pairs of
mole grips (vise grips) (I think the Craftsman ones have a better
release mechanism.)   A pair of cutters, and a big set of channel lock
pliers.  Ball peen hammer, and a selection of pry bars.

Really great to have:  Metric T-handle allen wrenches.   A few metric
socket style allen wrenches (If you get anywhere near a transaxle car
these are must haves.)

Non hand tools:  Propane torch (great for helping rusted bolts), a
selection of solvents/oils (Carb Cleaner, Simple Green, Acetone, PB
Blaster/Liquid Wrench.)   Locktite blue & red, and Anti-sieze (must
have!)

Nice to have:  Ratcheting box end wrenches (I don't use mine as much,
now that I have tons of pnumatic tools.)   Crowfoot wrenches (very handy
for hard to reach nuts/bolts.)

Saftey stuff (must have):  Saftey glasses.  Get in the habit of always
wearing them.   Good jack stands (don't get under a car without them.)
A good jack.   If you use power tools, I really recommend ear
protection...  saves your hearing, and you won't tire as quickly.

Misc:  Shop towels (I like the blue heavy paper towel kind) Gojo/Fast
Orange hand cleaner, Nitrile or Latex gloves are nice, and I really like
my new Mechanix work gloves.   I also prefer wearing a long sleeve work
shirt, and long pants, but I'm often doing a lot of welding were it
matters more.   A big piece of cardboard beats laying on
concrete/asphalt.

I know that seems like a big list, but it shouldn't cost more than $300
to get almost all of it.  All the hand tools will still fit in a good
sized toolbox.

If you have a garage and like to work on cars, then the biggest air
compressor you can afford/store should be on your shopping list too.

	--Mark