Speedo error and logic

In Canada, we have metric mileage (an interesting mix) so 60 mph per mile
markers become 120 km/hr per kilometer markers on our speedo test sections,
or 30 seconds per marker interval.  As this is 10 km above the maximum
permitted speed in Alberta, I've sometimes wondered how receptive the RCMP
would be to the idea that I was just "testing my speedometer for accuracy
officer). Of course, even the RCMP don't observe our speed limit so you are
unlikely to be stopped at anything less than 125 km/hr, which would put you
in the slower traffic. Most highway travel here is done at effectively 80
mph or 130 km/hr.

The freeway mathematics using kilometer markers while travelling the speed
limit of 110 km/hr are truly breathtaking in their complexity. Something
the bureaucrats forgot about. After all they could as easily set the posts
10% closer together and put times in seconds on them, no one needs to know
the distance travelled for speedo checks, another interesting little
conundrum I've often wondered about! Curiously, we also use five intervals
whereas six or even ten would be more useful. It's not as though we don't
have enough straight highway here!

To see an Escalade humming along at 160 km/hr with Bimbo at the wheel on
the phone is a sight to behold...that's why I try to do 165....
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
91 Alfa 164L, White, original owner