Re: distributor suspicions

Gentle Alfista,
The Plex ignition powering my 1750 has been the subject of some concern, and
owing to the recent testimonials of distributor triumph, I thought I might
ask about the symptoms of suspected pre-ignition at low rpms. The car seems
to have an unpleasant rasp under load during take-off, though this sound may
be typical of the K & N air cleaners at the intake of the weber carbs. Can a
garage mechanic, armed with a hand-held strobe, debug a poorly profiled
advance curve? I've tried soldering a couple of the end coils of the small
spring to retard the initial advance, to no appreciable effect.
Yours,
Modelle in Somers Point
72 Spider
74 GTV