Alfa engine oil leaks

Ya gotta be kiddin' right?

My 82 GTV6 leaked no oil, nada, nothing. I was concerned. The dealer
assured me that this strange phenomenon was normal for the V6. My current
91 V6 leaks no oil. It seeps a bit but nothing that would qualify as an
actual leak, the sump is wet but very little drips off. The GTV6 also
consumed very little oil which was even more troubling. My 164 is better in
that it at least burns enough oil to be reassuring. My 164 uses about a
litre every 1500 km ( 900 miles) during hard driving in the summer and next
to nothing in winter running AGIP SINT 2000 5W 50. Seems healthy and normal
for an Italian engine. The oil consumption has not changed one iota from
new. It burned about a litre every 1500 km when new and burns the same at
140,000 km. No unusual upper cylinder wear there I'd say. Pulls like a
train also, just as for the GTV6 except more so with the longer stroke of
the 164. The 2.5 revs sweeter however, too bad about the rev limiter!

The Alfa 4 should use or leak enough oil between changes that the oil
change is actually a change of filter more than a need to renew the oil!
For older Alfas an oil change is more  a state of mind than a maintenance item.

Cheers

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada