steering box: oil out-grease in

Tim Lentz in V8 #403 asks: " have a seeping steering box and had heard
that the gear oil can be replaced
with a light grease. Any suggestions on how to get the oil out? Also I'm
kind
of thinking, how will I know when I have enough grease down in there (I
don't
think I want to pack it in tight)? Would heating the grease help?"

*******

Once again, since I asked the same question on the 750-101 Digest and
Tom Sahines (one of the truly extremely helpful and great guys) replied
that he used a light grease, gently heated and poured into the tiny
hole. I asked, "Tom, where'd you get the light grease?" He replied that
he had a tin of grease from somewhere around the turn of two centuries
ago (I slightly exaggerate on occasion) which was used for steam
engines.

Tom had originally answered my question of which oils to use in the
diff, tranny, and steering box on Joe's '60 Giulietta. The former two he
suggested Shell Spirax 80W - 90, 'cause that's what they were designed
for (assuming the 4-speed had been converted to later synchros, which it
had). For the latter, see above.

Turns out there is a Shell distributor a mile from my place. Bought the
required 5 gallons of Spirax and asked about light grease. They have a
250W which the Model T or A (or both) guys use. When I mentioned steam
engines, they went, in essence, 'bingo!'.

Sent the info (of course in great detail) to Tom.

He replied, "Couldn't hurt."

When I do get the (sigh) required 5 gallons of 250W, stop by and we can
fill her up.

Couldn't hurt.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA