Clutch slip

Usually you cannot feel the clutch slip in lower gears unless it is already
nearly shot. If you think about it the clutch transmits maximum torque from
engine to wheels at the engine's peak torque in top gear. Maximum torque at
the wheels is a different thing altogether, resulting from multiplication
in the gearbox. The clutch has to resist the engine trying to twist the
gearbox input shaft which has its highest resistance in top gear.

The classic test for a slipping clutch is a hill climb in as high a gear as
feasible while reaching close to peak torque for the engine, around 3-4,
000 rpm usually depending on the engine.

Low gear acceleration runs do not stress the clutch nearly as much as top
gear acceleration runs. Interesting eh?

I had a similar discussion about gear failure in which I pointed out that
it should not surprise someone that say third gear failed from abusive
acceleration runs before first or second. The torque transferred by third
gear should produce higher loadings on the gear teeth than in lower gears
as the multiplication effect is less, so the engine side of the gear
"feels" the weight of the car more.
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada