VW Flywheel Locks Really Work!

OK, so I'm repeating something that I probably read about
here on the Alfa Digest.  But, it's just so darned slick that I
think it bears re-telling.  For years I've been struggling when
I remove - or re-install the flywheels on my Alfa engines.  My
procedure for removal was to use a "poor man's impact
wrench" (a breaker bar clobbered with a rubber mallet).  For
re-assembly, I'd put a piece of 2X4 between the crankshaft
and the block before re-installing the oil pan.  Crude, crude, ...

Then I read that an aircooled VW flywheel lock would fit
an Alfa engine.  So, when I had the need to remove a flywheel
recently, I went to my local Vee Dub shop, and asked for
a flywheel lock.  The guy sold me an EMPI p/n 00-5003-0
for the pricely sum of $7.50.  $7.50 !! Can you believe it?
That's a bargain even if you never use it.

The thing slides over one of the bellhousing studs, and has a
couple of "ears" that fit into the ring gear.  You don't even
need to secure it with a nut - it just wedges into the ring gear
teeth.  Anyhow, it really works.  Oh, and it's precision-made
in China.  Those VW guys just get all the breaks.

It's weird the stuff that entertains you (or at least me)

Jay Mackro, San Juan Capistrano, Calif.