re: 2L timing chain question

	I can attest and confirm the accuracy of James's statement.  Whilst
renewing the head on my '86 Spider (in my Time of Ignorance, and before
Alfa Engine Enlightenment), I wanted to see the piston move and thusly
rotated the main pulley. Of course one of the liners moved up a few
millimeters.  I pushed it back down and stopped playing with the pulley.
 After getting the engine running, I kept checking the oil for an
infusion of coolant.  None came.

	And with the recent engine rebuilding exercise on the '73 GTV, I had to
use the BFI approach to remove all four liners.  As if the liners knew
that they were headed for the recycle pile and didn't want to go.  I did
use retainers with the new liners.

	obJato: I mount my JATOs with explosive bolts so that I can jettison
them at the appropriate time.  Had to dump them at a stop light once and
they scooted across the intersection just a few inches above the
pavement and nailed the UPS truck on the other side.  The truck was
quickly emptied by pedestrians....

	Bruce

	'86 Spider
	'73

James sez:

> I'm sure this is a case of: if you want the liners to come out, it
> requires tremendous force to get them out.  If you don't want them to
> come out, they'll pop out with the slightest pressure.  In other words,
> if you forget the clamps, they're certain to pop out.

Stuart asks: