RE: routine retorque

> My mechanic says to drain the radiator before retorquing head (nuts) as
> routine maintenance on a 2 litre engine. I understand the principle about
> avoiding seepage through the juncture, but why can't the (nuts) be
> individually loosened and twisted tight one-at-a-time?  Thankyou all.

The nuts are supposed to be done one at a time.  Loosen them all and you may
as well keep taking things apart, because you'll need to replace the head
gasket.

Follow Fred D's advice wrt squeezing the upper hose, then replacing the cap.
Another brilliant piece of logic from Fred that has worked well for me over
the years.

bs