Re: 164 ABS Fixed!, Head Removal Next?

Hello All,

At John Wiltshire's encouragement, I am posting some additional details
related to the ABS fix I shared a couple weeks ago.

When I first began looking into my ABS problem, I went through the entire
troubleshooting procedure without finding a single fault.  The checks in the
procedure simply cannot diagnose weak or mismatched magnetic coupling of the
wheel sensors; resitance measurements alone do not indicate how the sensor
will perform in the ABS system.  Based on my experience with these types of
circuits, although the electronics are quite reliable, adequate tolerances
and signal conditioning are not designed into the system as a whole to make
it reliable over time.  The design is too dependent on the mechanical
features of the system which are subject to significant change resulting from
wear and weathering.  The good news, of course is that it is repairable.

John asked about using a regular analog oscilloscope for the tests.  Yes, you
can use an analog scope to see the signal; it will just be a bit more
difficult because of the fact that an analog scope does not capture and hold
a waveform like a digital one.  First, it is important to set up the test and
connect your scope properly.  You will have to adjust the timebase down quite
a bit, to about 20 ms per division; the volts per division may be set to
about 50 mV per division.

Remove the connector from the ABS ECU (N27) and measure the signals right at
the connector.  Connect your scope's ground to the car's chassis ground
somewhere.  I clipped a ground strap to the latch post on the door pillar.
Then, connect the ground lead of your scope probe to one end of the sensor
you are testing, and the probe tip to the other end of the sensor.  No doubt
that if you've gone this far you have the pinout information, but I'll
summarize it here:

LF Sensor - N27 pins 4 and 5
RF Sensor - N27 pins 21 and 23
LR Sensor - N27 pins 7 and 9
RR Sensor - N27 pins 24 and 26

So, for example, to test the left front sensor, connect the ground lead to
pin 4, and the probe tip to pin 5.  Again, make sure that the scope ground is
common to the car chassis, otherwise extraneous noise can make the small
signal difficult to  distinguish.

If your car is like mine, the stronger signals are from the front sensors.
To establish a baseline signal, raise only one of your front wheels off the
ground, start the car, put the transmission in first gear (or low, if
automatic), and let it idle.  After you have connected your scope to the
corresponding connector pins, observe the scope, and make a note of both the
peak-to-peak signal amplitude and the signal period at engine idle.  Do the
same with the other front wheel and corresponding sensor.  The important
thing to understand is that the signal period corresponds directly to the
speed of the wheel.  The signal amplitude of the two front wheels should be
well within 10% of each other at the same period.  If I remember correctly,
mine were about 1V peak-to-peak at idle (I have an automatic, by the way),
but I don't remember the period.

To get a signal from the rear wheels, raise the wheel and spin it fast enough
to obtain the same signal period as you observed with each of the front
wheels at idle.  Hopefully, you can spin it fast enough with your hand to
obtain this period.  Preferably, have some else do the spinning while you are
observing your scope.  With the signal at the baseline period, note the
amplitude.  Do the same for the other wheel.  I suspect you will find one or
both of the rear wheel sensors significantly lower than the front sensors.
Mine were about one third that of the front.

Once you have made these measurements, you can determine which sensor(s) need
to be modified to obtain matched signal amplitudes.  The goal is to obtain
close to the same signal amplitude on all four wheels at the baseline period.
 The basic principle to keep in mind is that the closer the sensor is to its
phonic wheel, the stronger the signal will be.  You can use either of the
techniques I detailed in my original e-mail to adjust this gap.  By far, the
easier method is to add material to the tip of the weakest sensor(s).

As I discussed in my message about the ABS fix, I am likelly to soon begin
the task of removing the heads and have then redone, mainly because of the
probable crashed valves of the right head.  I read Brad's project 164 article
for head removal but would still like to hear from others who may have
tackled this job before.  Things to look out for, what parts to buy, about
how much I can expect to pay, and what enhancements can be economically done
... that sort of thing.

Any suggestions welcome!

Tom Alfieri
Electronics Technician