Spider Emmission Woes

I was notified by the state of NC today that if I don't get my car to pass emissions by the end of the month they will provide me
with a $250.00 fine, and refuse to re-register it.   Shesh....

Test Results:
                     Standard    First test        This test
HC                220                447                303
CO                1.20               .47                .53
CO2                ---                14.1            14.1
RPM                ---                753            854

The O2 sensor appears to be working.  Based on the schematic on the car disk, it would appear that if my thermotime sensor was
failed, I would be running rich all the time.  Would that cause such a high HC reading?

Am I putting off the inevitable replacement of the cat?

Nick
Apex, NC
'84 Spider -running well but unable to convince the Government.