re: avoiding German automobiles

hi jak, ewe said:

   <<<"hey, it's not just retired grandparents in Florida,
   i wasn't even born yet when WW2 was going on, but
   the idea of buying an automobile from a company, &
   to a lesser extent some of the same people, who
   greatly profitted from slave labor & murder, in the
   goal of murder & enslavement of the rest of the world,
   will forever keep me from owning a mb, bmw, porsh or (ford).">>>
what in the world are ya doin' on the alfa digest?!?  oh, i guess italy's fascism & support of hitler in wwll is ok...

sorry, i'm more in tune w/henry kim, who sez:

   <<<"I think people have short memories, especially when it comes to        recognising quality engineering.

   If we all boycotted cars based on past atrocities, you would never see a
   Chinese or Korean driving a Toyota and you'd never see a Native driving    a Chevy.

   And for some, the Alfas of the '70s with their factory rust could be       defined as a mild atrocity.

   Based on world history, we should all be driving Volvos and Saabs.  Wait    a minute, the damn Swedes brought Ikea into this world!  What about        Portugal?  Do they make cars?">>>
and, fact is, even saab & wolwo are not acceptable, as they're owned by ford & gm.  hell, if we're really self-respecting humans, we'd all be *walking*, eh?

doug s.