Re: alfa-digest V8 #350

In a message dated 01/07/2002 3:52:26 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I have a *slightly* different take on this. I'd opt for a variant of the 2nd
>
> scenario and position it using the Lexus model. Cheap, no, cheapER, yes.
> Here in SoFla, admittedly a weird li'l market, Lexi GS430 (never mind teh
> GS300s) with an MSRP of ~$45K (and they seem to get pretty much MSRP for
> 'em
> too) are seen in greater evidence than BMW 5 series or MB E-class and this
> is among a clientele that could readily afford any of the above. Why?

Easy one!  S. Florida has a big population of retired Jews.  More than you
might expect in the USA will not buy things from Germany.  Plus, the heavy
concentration of retirees skews to a price bias.

Here in LA-LA Land, the opposite is true, especially among the affluent,
influential set.  The cost is a majr, major ADVANTAGE, and the more it costs,
the more favorably it reflects on YOU and how much YOU are worth as meat on
the open market, or how well the pieces of meat you slice 10% from are doing,
or how many million dollar homes you sold this month, etc.  People was to
show it, flaunt it, and enjoy it (of course, many times this is also a gift,
something an ill-afford lease to keep up a front, etc.).  People who do not
know how may cylinders are in their shiny new BMW have bought (leased,
chosen) is mostly because it has 2 key features, both unrelated to
performance: it is HIGHLY LEASEABLE because it will retain a good % of its
value... and it is known to be and LOOKS expensive, which reflects well on
you, showing you are hot shit.  When others know that you are piloting around
am $85,000 car or a $250,000 car or a $57,850 car, you get bragging rights
and showoff points that perhaps are not so important in Lansing, Michigan or
Chattanooga, Teen... but of course, in those places they will stuck to a
Chevy or a truck and wouldn't be good candidates for some wacky, sexy,
Eye-talian, fix-it-again Tony job.

One of the best things GM can contribute to the mix is a great great deal
through GMAC.  THAT will make all the difference.  That and the paint and
ass-kissing customer service.  WE want and expect a terrific product but you
know what?  ALL cars these days are pretty terrific, at least compared to the
primitive state of affairs when OUR Alfas were new models.  We think of
buying and holding, but the market at large doesn't, it thinks of something
that will be problem free for the whole 24, 36, or even 60 month long term of
the lease, at which point there will be something new in the driveway anyhow.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA