Re: alfa-digest V8 #339

In a message dated 01/05/2002 1:26:40 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> The Saabs are so smooth because they are two
> strokes--twice the firing frequency per crank
> revolution compared with a four stroke.  Anybody out
> there ever driven a Geo Metro, or one of the many
> triple motorcycles who can comment?

Once long ago I had a Saab and didn't notice its 4 being significantly
smoother in operation than similar 2L jobs.  There were lot of pretty bizarre
things about the car that contributed to the overall driving effect, I hasten
to add, and the fact that Saab makes planes was pretty evident at the time.

Once I had the misfortune to rent a Geo Metro 3 cyl for a few days while one
of my cars was (repaired? painted? out of service).  It reminded me of a
motorcycle of wheels.  The impression I carried away most strongly wasn't
really about the 3 (which was noisy and rough, but what do you expect?  It
felt something like a small outboard motorboat) but the overall flyweight
tinniness of cheapens of the whole package.  It would have been terrific in
bright colors with jazzy seats if it was very very cheap.  It did get about
53 mpg, as I recall, and it did keep up with freeway traffic, but maintained
only minimal contact with the paving.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA